Cary Elwes and Robin Wright in ‘The Princess Bride’/Photo © 1987 MGM
On September 25, 1987, director Rob Reiner’s adaptation of William Goldman’s novel, The Princess Bride, came to movie theaters. Goldman’s work on the screenplay helped the novel translate brilliantly and hilariously to the big screen, and the comedy was brought to life by such talents as Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, Wallace Shawn, Andre the Giant, and the one and only Billy Crystal as Miracle Max. Though the film didn’t garner much in the way of awards, its timelessness has likely been reward enough for the creators of this cinematic masterpiece. (Yes, we are indeed calling it a masterpiece.) Among myriad qualities accounting for the excellence of “The Princess Bride” is its quotability. So herewith, we present Word & Film’s top ten favorite quotes from “The Princess Bride.” They’re our favorites not just for their humor and timelessness, but also for their versatility. Go ahead; use one in a sentence today. And if you’ve got one we’ve missed, tell us below.
10. I’m not a witch, I’m your wife.
8. While you’re at it, why don’t you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?
7. Bow to the Queen of Slime, the Queen of Filth, the Queen of Putrescence.
6. True love is the greatest thing, in the world, except for a nice MLT – mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich.
5. Mawwage. Mawwage is whatt bwings us togedder today.
4. Have fun stormin’ the castle.
3. As you wish.
2. Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
1. When I was your age, television was called books.